Estate Planning and Family Office Administration
Gould & Ratner has represented many affluent families through multiple generations, giving our lawyers unique insight into the issues that confront families, family-owned businesses and wealthy entrepreneurs.
Careful planning is the essential element that determines whether a family’s assets remain productive, capable of sustaining the personal needs and charitable inclinations of multiple generations. Today, we are trusted legal and business advisors to more than 900 wealthy families and their businesses.
A thoughtfully constructed family financial plan must be accompanied by capable administration. A trust that provides for the transferor’s wishes to be carried out during life and after death is successful only with ongoing administration that carries out the intent and spirit of the document. Our clients tell us they are comforted knowing that they can rely on the experienced lawyers at Gould & Ratner to administer their estates and trusts as personally, precisely and strategically as we approached the earlier planning phase.
In addition, Gould & Ratner offers comprehensive family office services that include:
- wealth transfer planning
- liability management
- family philanthropy
- lifestyle enhancements
- family continuity and education
- strategic advisory role and integrated financial services
- accounting tax review and compliance oversight
- client information management
Our firm has been fortunate to play a part in the management and generational transition of a significant number of successful family businesses. The services and counsel we provide offer seamless stewardship of the needs of our family clients. Our team of lawyers and professionals bring significant credentials to the table. All of our partners have worked with wealthy individuals and families and their advisors for at least 20 years. Several of our lawyers possess additional qualifications, including CPA, CFP® and and LL.M. in Taxation.
- Advise family and other entrepreneurial businesses on tax efficient ownership structures.
- Advise multi-generation families and their businesses in developing and implementing strategies to assure transition and continuity of family business activities, long-term wealth transfer and charitable goals.
- Represented high net worth individuals in negotiating premarital agreements to protect family owned business assets and children from prior marriages.
- Represented trustees in resolving disputes with beneficiaries.
- Advisor to family businesses seeking to minimize the onerous C-Corporate taxation without incurring the traditional costs associated with the corporate liquidation process.
- New IRS Proposal Severely Limits Effective Estate Tax Planning Strategy, GR Client Alert, October 2016
- Illinois Appeals Court Holds Taxation of Trust Established by Illinois Grantor Unconstitutional, GR Client Update, January 2014
- Tax Changes Affect Estate Planning and the Selling of a Home, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, December 10, 2012
- Estate Tax Reform: A Window of Opportunity, Estate Planning and Tax Update, January 2011
- The Uncertain Fate of Estate and Gift Taxes, August 2010
- The Importance of Choosing a Home for Your Trust, GR Review, October 2008
- The Dilemma of Partnership "Divorce" in the Context of Tax-Deferred Like-Kind Exchanges, Client Update, March 2008
- IRS Disavows Popular Year-End Tax-Planning Move, GR Review, March 2008
- Business Seller's Due Diligence, GR Review, January 2008