Gould & Ratner’s Gaming Industry Practice offers clients in this dynamic industry a full range of regulatory, intellectual property, corporate and tax services provided by attorneys well-versed in the unique legal issues confronting a variety of gaming businesses.
We represent gaming clients in a broad array of matters across the country, including Nevada, New Jersey, Illinois, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New York and Pennsylvania, as well as in international jurisdictions, including Latin America and Australia.
Licensing and Regulatory Compliance: The gaming industry is among the most highly-regulated industries. Each gaming jurisdiction has its own unique regulatory requirements. Our attorneys successfully navigate clients through the complex maze of federal, state and tribal gaming regulations. We represent casino owners and operators and gaming industry manufacturers and suppliers before regulatory agencies as part of the licensing process for our gaming clients and their owners, officers and key employees.
Illinois Video Gaming Act: Our gaming attorneys have been intimately involved in the Illinois video gaming industry since it was created by the passage of the Illinois Video Gaming Act (230 ILCS 40/1 et seq.) in July 2009. The act legalized the operation of video gambling machines in “any licensed retail establishment where alcoholic liquor is drawn, poured, mixed, or otherwise served for consumption on the premises,” including bars, truck stops, and fraternal and veterans organizations throughout the state. We represent manufacturers, distributors and operators under the act and have handled dozens of video gaming terminal route sales and acquisitions over the past five years.
Daily Fantasy Sports
The Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) industry has experienced explosive growth over the past several years. Our attorneys advise DFS clients regarding all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, keeping them apprised of the ever-changing legal landscape for this burgeoning industry. We provide guidance on how to structure DFS games and contests to comply with applicable laws and identify those states where some or all types of DFS contests may run afoul of existing laws. We also prepare legal terms and conditions for DFS websites and general guidance regarding legal issues affecting their day-to-day operations.
In addition to our compliance work, we also provide DFS clients with:
- corporate and finance law services, including acquisitions, sales, contract negotiations, and debt and equity capital raising
- intellectual property law services, including filing applications for patents, trademarks, service marks and copyrights, as well as searches to confirm IP rights will not infringe on another party’s existing rights
- tax compliance and regulatory counsel and related services
Additional Related Services
Corporate: Our corporate attorneys regularly counsel our gaming and DFS clients on business formation issues, not only preparing the formation documents, but also working with our tax lawyers to provide clients with critical advise on the tax implications of their choice of entity and structuring of the ownership thereof. We regularly represent industry clients in capital raising ventures, including commercial lending transactions and private securities offerings. We also regularly represent clients in the drafting and negotiation of distribution agreements, supply agreements, licensing agreements and myriad other business contracts.
Intellectual Property: Our intellectual property attorneys are skilled at obtaining patents, trademarks and copyrights. Our lawyers counsel industry clients in all aspects of intellectual property, including the prosecution and litigation of patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets and trade dress, and the drafting and negotiation of technology transactions.
Tax: Our tax attorneys are preeminent in Chicago in terms of representing entrepreneurs and excel in devising and implementing strategies to address all facets of tax issues facing our industry clients and their businesses.
- Represented video display manufacturer in dispute concerning development of 3-D technology for use in the gaming industry.
- Named general counsel for one of the world's leading manufacturers of equipment used in the production of gaming machines. We represented the company in the negotiation of contracts for the sale of its equipment to gaming manufacturers across the world. We also advised the publicly traded company in all of its securities matters.
- Represented one of the world’s leading manufacturers of gaming machines in the negotiation of an agreement for the exclusive distribution of its machines under the Illinois Video Gaming Act.
- Represented a leading distributor of gaming machines in the negotiation of an agreement to serve as the exclusive distributor in the Illinois market for one of the world's top manufacturers of video lottery terminals.
- Represented gaming operators in a series of mergers and acquisitions (both buy-side and sell-side).
- Represented dozens of gaming companies in licensing matters before the Illinois Gaming Board.
- Represented local Chicago gaming operator in connection with the sale of over 100 locations to be operated and licensed under the Illinois Video Gaming Act.