Recognized by her peers and clients as a leader in commercial real estate, Amy Blumenthal has 35 years of experience in all areas of real estate, including office, retail, hotel, industrial and luxury residential properties, often concentrating on financing, acquisitions and sales, as well as real estate development and land use. Her clients, from a variety of industries such as manufacturing, hospitality, food and beverage, and publishing, value her ability to listen and understand their priorities and needs to best help them achieve their business goals.
Amy’s diverse practice includes representing owners, developers, lenders and investors in negotiating the acquisition, financing and zoning of property through its ultimate development, leasing and/or sale. She has a full range of experience helping clients with financing, ranging from initial acquisition to development and ultimately permanent financing, including working with senior debt, mezzanine debt and private equity. In working to close deals, Amy strives to understand not only her client's strategy and motivations, but also what is driving all other parties to the transaction. Finely honed listening and negotiation skills developed from handling hundreds of successful deals over the last three decades have led to many satisfied – and loyal – clients.
As part of her practice, Amy also handles high-stakes property tax appeals before a variety of governmental bodies, guiding clients through complex assessment issues for large commercial and industrial buildings, as well as luxury residential properties.
Amy is very active in the commercial real estate community. She currently serves on the board of directors and is Immediate Past President of CREW Chicago, a member chapter of the CREW Network, an organization of over 12,000 women engaged in all of the professions associated with the commercial real estate industry.
Once a pediatric oncology nurse, Amy remains committed to supporting worthy causes in the health care community in Chicago. She provides ongoing service as a member of the board of directors of the Erie Family Health Foundation, which supports the mission of the Erie Family Health Center to provide high-quality, affordable health care for lower-income city residents.
Amy has been recognized as an Illinois Super Lawyer for Real Estate as well as an Illinois Leading Lawyer in the areas of Land Use, Zoning & Condemnation, Commercial Real Estate and Real Estate Finance. Amy was named an inaugural honoree for Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer Magazine's "Influential Women in Law Awards" for 2020. She also has been recognized by Crain's Chicago Business as a "Notable Woman Executive Over 50" for 2020 and 2019, a “Chicago Notable Woman Lawyer” for 2018, and a “Notable Women in Law” for 2020. In January 2018, Amy was inducted into the Commercial Real Estate Hall of Fame by Midwest Real Estate News.
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1985
- University of Rochester, B.S., Nursing , 1978
- Board of Directors and 2020 Immediate Past President, 2018-2019 President, CREW Chicago (Commercial Real Estate Executive Women)
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Gould & Ratner Lawyers Named to Crain's 2020 Notable Women in Law List, September 08, 2020
- Gould & Ratner Named to 2021 U.S. News Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch,” “Best Law Firms” List, August 20, 2020
- Amy Blumenthal Named to CDLB and Chicago Lawyer Magazine’s Inaugural “Influential Woman in Law” List, June 16, 2020
- Amy Blumenthal Named to Crain’s “2020 Notable Women Executives Over 50” List, April 06, 2020
- Eight Gould & Ratner Lawyers Earn Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Designation for 2020, January 30, 2020
- Gould & Ratner Recognized as CREW Chicago 2018 Sponsor of the Year, December 18, 2018
- Amy Blumenthal Recognized Among Chicago’s Notable Women Lawyers for 2018, Crain’s Custom Media, July 31, 2018
- Commercial Real Estate Forecast Interview, REjournals, January 09, 2018
- Amy Blumenthal Named to Board of Directors for Erie Family Health Foundation, GR Media Release, January 08, 2017