John Byrne is Gould & Ratner's Chief Marketing Officer, a role drawing upon his unique combination of experience as a practicing lawyer, marketing and sales director, professional journalist and publisher, career coach and recruiter, and small business owner. As CMO, his top priority is supporting the firm's delivery of unparalleled service to its clients.
John has spent nearly 25 years in the legal profession, with much of that time devoted to helping lawyers attract new clients and engagements. He has particular skill in writing, marketing communications and public relations, as well as business development and traditional sales. John's most valuable skill, though, is his ability to connect with lawyers and clients alike, listening to them and understanding their needs to create strategies for success.
An active participant in the 3,500-member Legal Marketing Association, John is the President-Elect of the group's Midwest Region for 2018. He served as co-executive editor of LMA's Strategies magazine in 2015-16 and as co-chair of LMA's Annual Conference in 2014. He has also served on the international board of directors for LMA, as well as on the boards of its two largest regional chapters.
John earned his bachelor's degree from the Medill School of Journalism at Northwestern University, where he was the editor in chief of The Daily Northwestern. He earned his law degree from Loyola University Chicago.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1994
- Northwestern University, Medill School of Journalism, B.S.J., 1990
- Legal Marketing Association
– President-Elect, Midwest Region, 2018
– Co-executive editor, Strategies magazine, 2015-2016
– Director, Midwest Chapter, 2016
– Co-chair, Annual International Conference, 2014
- Board member, Students Publishing Company of Northwestern University, 2015-present