As a member of Gould & Ratner’s Tax & Wealth Transfer Practice, Joe assists individuals and family businesses with tax and financial transactional support, family wealth transfer planning and business succession planning.
As a member, Joe works closely with lawyers and tax accountants who prepare individual, corporate, partnership, trust, tax-exempt income tax returns, as well as gift and estate tax returns.
Joe's practice also involves handling tax controversy matters with federal, state and local government agencies. This work includes audits, refund claims and tax court matters. He also handles clients’ tax deficiencies through installment arrangements and offers in compromise.
Joe has been named an Illinois Leading Lawyer in the areas of Business Tax and Individual Tax.
- UIC John Marshall Law School, J.D., with distinction , 1985
- Temple University, B.B.A., Accounting , 1982
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Tax Court
- American Bar Association, Federal Tax and S Corporate Committees
- Chicago Bar Association, Federal Tax and State and Local Tax Committees
Key Cases or Transactions
- Handled tax refund claim for client for claim of right involving the partial repayment of purchase price on sale of business.
- Handled tax refund claim for client on cancellation of debt income for S corporation that allowed a client to claim additional tax losses.
- Handled numerous offers in compromises for clients to settle tax deficiencies ranging from 10 cents on the dollar up to 40 cents on the dollar.