Sports and Entertainment
Our Sports and Entertainment Practice represents some of Chicago's most prominent families, sports figures, actors, artists and musicians, focusing on providing legal counsel to individuals and their families in matters pertaining to their personal, business and tax interests, including tax and estate planning.
Our clients include professional athletes and coaches in the NFL and NBA, as well as coaches of collegiate sports teams. In the entertainment area, our clients are involved in television, movies, radio, and music and comedy recording. Our attorneys are able to address their needs from a 360-degree perspective – from corporate, estate and charitable planning, and tax and financial services, to litigation and real estate. Our services include:
- Formation, acquisition or sale of business entities
- Documenting investments in private equity transactions
- Intellectual property protection and pursuing intellectual property infringements
- Tax issues relating to their personal, real estate, and other business and family holdings
- Estate planning strategies and documents
- Establishment of charitable organizations and foundations with guidance on governance matters
- Drafted employment agreements for head football and basketball coaches at NCAA institutions.
- Represented world-famous athlete in series of real estate transactions across the country.
- Represented several clients in negotiating terms for use of their private residences in filming scenes for major motion pictures and network television shows.
- A leading nationwide golf course owner purchase of several golf courses across the country and entering into various management agreements.
- A private equity fund and management group purchase of minor-league professional baseball teams in Texas, Missouri and New Jersey.
- Two theatrical producers (including a multiple Tony Award winner) created a closed-end fund for the production of several Broadway plays and events.