Aaron May represents owners, developers, investors and lenders in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions. His experience includes a broad range of real estate matters, including:
- Acquisition and sale of office, retail and industrial properties
- Office and retail leasing
- Land use and development
Aaron has helped clients acquire, finance and lease various types of commercial properties on a national level, including office, industrial, retail, mixed-use and residential projects. He has been involved in hundreds of leasing transactions, ranging from ground leases for developments across the country to multimillion-dollar deals for space in major downtown office buildings. Aaron also advises investors with transactions involving triple-net commercial properties, from negotiating and documenting the initial acquisition to effectuating the disposition through an IRS Code Section1031 “like-kind” exchange. Additionally, Aaron has experience advising telecom companies on a variety of matters, including master site agreements, cell site acquisitions, leasing, amendments and risk assessment. Recent professional highlights include:
- Represented real estate investor in $23 million sale of office building through an IRS Code Section1031 “like-kind” exchange and corresponding acquisition of 230,000 square foot industrial building, including negotiation of purchase and sale agreements, financing documents and related long-term, triple-net lease.
- Represented real estate investor in acquisition of property subject to long-term, triple-net office and retail leases, including negotiation of the purchase and sale agreement, lease amendments and acquisition loan documents, and review of corresponding subdivision documents.
- Represented telecommunications company in multi-site, sale-leaseback transaction, including drafting and negotiating sale documents and corresponding leaseback agreements.
- Represented real estate investor in acquisition of $18 million medical office building and assumption of existing senior and subordinated debt.
- Represented mid-sized lender in several commercial mortgage and construction loan transactions.
Aaron is an active member in ULI Chicago and the Chicago Mortgage Attorneys Association. He is also a member of the American and Chicago Bar Associations.
- UIC John Marshall Law School, J.D., Dean’s List; Editor in Chief, The Journal of Computer and Information Law , 2013
- University of Illinois at Chicago, B.S., Finance , 2008
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- ULI Chicago
- Chicago Mortgage Attorneys Association