Joe Marzo focuses his practice on real estate and general business counseling. He has handled a wide range of commercial real estate matters in the past decade, including:
- construction contracts
- land use
Joe also has extensive experience in office, industrial and retail leasing, having advised clients on transactions totaling well over one million square feet. He has also handled the real estate aspects of due diligence in corporate mergers and acquisitions.
Joe’s real estate clients include real estate investment trusts, middle market real estate lenders, developers and investors.
Beyond real estate, Joe handles a variety of general commercial and contractual matters for small and middle-market companies, including alternative energy suppliers, retail operating companies, and software developers and licensors.
Joe is a member of the Illinois and American Bar Associations, and the Illinois Mortgage Attorneys Association.
- Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, J.D., cum laude, associate editor, Northwestern Law Review
- Northwestern University, B.A., Economics
- Chicago Mortgage Attorneys Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
Key Cases or Transactions
- Represented a Chicago-based digital healthcare agency in its sale to a global commercialization partner for the life sciences industry.
- Represented privately held distribution company in connection with its acquisition and construction of 650,000 square feet warehouse for co-tenancy with one of its customers.
- Negotiated $22.5-million solar panel supply agreement for privately held alternative energy supplier.
- Represented lender in connection with $6.5 million acquisition and renovation loan for self-storage facility.
- Represented coffee company in connection with lease of new sites nationally.
- Negotiated disposition of 750,000-square-foot industrial facility.
- Represented acquirer of single tenant office campus leased to Fortune 500 tenant.
- Advised lender in connection with $30 million term loan and revolving credit facility secured by all assets of an operating company borrower.
- Negotiated 55,000-square-foot headquarters office lease on behalf of landlord.
- Represented lender as member of $600-million syndicated credit facility.
- Local co-counsel for borrower’s acquisition financing of Old Post Office complex in downtown Chicago.
- Represented software development company in connection with SaaS license agreement.
- Negotiated 65,000-square-foot headquarters office lease on behalf of landlord.
- Represented lender in connection with $60 million acquisition and construction loan for hospitality complex.