Matthew Olins is chair of Gould & Ratner’s Business Reorganization and Creditors’ Rights Practice and a member of the Corporate Practice. Matt practices in the areas of business reorganization, restructuring and insolvency, commercial finance and creditors’ rights.
Matt represents lenders, special servicers and various types of other creditors in loan workouts, business bankruptcy cases, commercial finance transactions, commercial foreclosures and litigation. He also represents businesses that are reorganizing or liquidating.
- Washington University School of Law in St. Louis, J.D., Editorial Board, Washington University Law Review , 2001
- Kenyon College, B.A., Political Science, cum laude , 1996
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Commercial Real Estate Finance Council
Key Cases or Transactions
- Represented a secured creditor with a more than $52 million claim in the bankruptcy cases of an Illinois homebuilder and its affiliates, and successfully defeated confirmation of the debtors' proposed chapter 11 plan.
- Obtained confirmation of a secured creditor's contested chapter 11 plan, and denial of the debtor's proposed plan, for a Las Vegas office center.
- Represented a secured creditor and post-petition lender in a textile manufacturer's chapter 11 case and recovered its approximately $30 million pre-petition claim and its post-petition loan through the sale of debtor's assets.
- Represented the purchaser in an approximately $80 million competitive bankruptcy sale of the assets of a major chicken producer in chapter 11.
- Represented a high-end seafood restaurant with sixteen locations located throughout the country in its chapter 11 case.
- Represented a public company that designed and produced manufacturing equipment for industrial and consumer products in its and its affiliates' chapter 11 cases.
- Successfully defended a reorganized financial institution against at least $50 million of discharged claims.
- Represented the court appointed examiner in the chapter 11 case of a major airline.
- Represented the official committee of unsecured creditors in a chapter 11 case of a large plant nursery and represented the post-confirmation creditor trust in the substantial adversary litigation that followed.
- Obtained a more than $57 million judgment order of foreclosure and sale on behalf of the lender to a major Chicago area shopping center.
- Obtained a more than $27 million judgment order of foreclosure and sale on behalf of the lender to a Chicago area office building.
- Obtained a more than $6.8 million judgment order of foreclosure and sale on behalf of the lender to a Chicago area apartment building.
- Obtained a more than $1.6 million judgment on behalf of the lender on a personal guaranty of a commercial loan.
- Obtained a judgment for a defendant in litigation involving a claim for millions of dollars based upon an erroneous joint venture manufacturing theory.
- Represented the lender in an approximately $50 million financing transaction with a multi-state health care provider.
- Represented the lender in an approximately $112 million financing automotive business.
- Represented the lender in an approximately $23.5 million financing transaction with a material testing business.
- Represented the lender in an approximately $10 million financing transaction with a skilled nursing provider.
- Represented a bulk freight shipping service business in an approximately $100 million financing transaction.
- Represented a national banking association in numerous foreclosures and loan workouts involving apartments, condominiums, retail space, office space and undeveloped land in connection with loan portfolios purchased from the FDIC.
- “Welcome to the Jungle: LLC Members and Their Rights and Interests in Bankruptcy – A Primer for the Business Counselor,” Illinois State Bar Association,September 16, 2015