As a member of Gould & Ratner’s corporate practice, Sevan Avakian counsels privately held and family-run entrepreneurial businesses in a variety of complex transactional and corporate governance matters, including mergers and acquisitions, divestitures, private equity and venture capital financings, corporate formations and reorganizations, and debt financing transactions. Sevan has proven to be an indispensable resource for many notable companies, guiding his clients in a full range of legal matters throughout their life cycle.
Additionally, Sevan represents angel investors, investment syndicates, and venture capital firms, assisting these clients with the formation of special purpose vehicles, investment clubs, and venture capital funds. As a co-founder of his own venture capital firm, Jordan Avakian Group, Sevan brings a valuable perspective to deal diligence and negotiation on behalf of investor clients.
Sevan’s experience and clients span a variety of industries, including: technology and media; high-tech manufacturing; transportation; automotive sales and distribution; consulting and professional services; software design and development; digital marketing and strategy; consumer packaged goods; banking and financial services; and sports and entertainment. Entrenched in the business community, Sevan makes it a priority to introduce his clients to centers of influence within their respective industry.
Sevan was named to the 2021 edition of U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch” list in the category of corporate law. During his time at Loyola University Chicago School of Law, Sevan served as president of Loyola’s Business Law Society. Additionally, he was the regional champion and national quarterfinalist in the 2014 Thomas Tang National Moot Court Competition.
Sevan is involved in a variety of community, charity and professional organizations, including the Assyrian American Bar Association, the Assyrian American Chamber of Commerce, and Assyrian Advisors, which he serves as the legal director. Sevan also coached Loyola University Chicago School of Law’s Thomas Tang National Moot Court Team, which won national championships in 2017 and 2018 during Sevan’s tenure.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., cum laude , 2015
- Loyola University Chicago, B.B.A., Accounting and Economics , 2011
- Assyrian American Chamber of Commerce - Member
- Chicago Bar Association
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law - Moot Court Coach
Key Cases or Transactions
- Represented a privately-held company in a $211,000,000 acquisition of a maritime transportation company with the primary focus of transporting agricultural fertilizer.
- Represented a maritime transportation company in obtaining a $115,000,000 secured credit facility to refinance existing indebtedness.
- Represented a road-side assistance insurance company in a $104,000,000 sale and transfer of operations of various U.S. and Canadian based subsidiaries to an institutional private equity fund.
- Represented a privately-held company in a $100,000,000 lead investment in a real estate fund.
- Represented a majority member in a $43,000,000 membership interest acquisition of a privately-held ski resort company.
- Represented a private equity fund in a $20,000,000 asset sale of a turf seed company.
- Represented a food and beverage company in a spinoff of its winery business to an affiliate entity and a subsequent $16,000,000 promissory note offering for the winery business.
- Represented a publicly traded Canadian company in a $12,000,000 stock acquisition of a cannabis dispensary.
- Represented a trailer manufacturing company with dealer and manufacturer license compliance matters across the nation.
- Represented a privately held international restaurant equipment manufacturing company in a $12,000,000 stock acquisition of a French restaurant equipment manufacturing company.
- Represented a national bank in drafting and negotiating an $8,750,000 secured credit facility which was utilized by a private equity fund for the acquisition of a security equipment manufacturing company.
- Represented a privately-held esports company in a $5,000,000 seed round equity financing.
- Represented a publicly traded Canadian company in a $3,500,000 membership interest acquisition of a cannabis dispensary.
- Represented a privately held masonry supply company in a $3,500,000 asset acquisition of a competing business.
- Eight Gould & Ratner Lawyers Earn Illinois Super Lawyers, Rising Stars Designation for 2021, February 01, 2021
- Gould & Ratner Named to 2021 U.S. News Best Lawyers “Ones to Watch,” “Best Law Firms” List, August 20, 2020
- Sevan Avakian Quoted in Forbes Article Featuring Jordan Avakian Group and WaitTime Partnership, April 08, 2020
- Gould & Ratner Lawyer Coaches Loyola Moot Court Team to Victory, Again, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, November 18, 2018
- Gould & Ratner Lawyer Coaches Loyola Moot Court Team to Victory, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, November 07, 2017
- Gould & Ratner Adds Three Associates, February 20, 2017