Tax disputes require experienced tax and trial lawyers. Our Tax Controversy Practice comprises lawyers who understand taxation and have the trial skills to win cases, bringing decades of insight and experience to each controversy they handle. We provide sound transactional and controversy advice in federal taxation matters, as well as in state and local tax disputes.
Our clients represent a broad cross-section of the business community and include individuals and private trusts to partnerships, limited liability companies and corporations. Their disputes range from simple evidentiary matters to complex and technical tax matters. Each is unique. We tailor our representation to fit each client and each case, never losing sight of the overall financial and business issues impacted by the controversy.
Our lawyers' paramount goal in representing clients in tax, financial and business matters is to, whenever possible, avoid controversies with taxing authorities. Yet, when a legitimate dispute arises, we assess our client’s rights and the remedies available to resolve it. We regularly represent clients in audits, collection actions, offers in compromise, installment agreements, and other negotiated settlements with taxing authorities. We represent clients in the U.S. District Court, the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Tax Court.
- Advisor to individuals and businesses seeking to resolve federal and state tax liabilities, including tax amnesty programs, offer in compromise, installment agreements and release and subordination of tax liens.
- Advisor to individuals and businesses in tax controversy matters involving: franchise, income, estate and gift, replacement, sales, and use taxes.
- Handled tax refund claim for client for claim of right involving the partial repayment of purchase price on sale of business.
- Handled tax refund claim for client on cancellation of debt income for S corporation that allowed a client to claim additional tax losses.
- Handled numerous offers in compromises for clients to settle tax deficiencies ranging from 10 cents on the dollar up to 40 cents on the dollar.
- Handled examination and appeals cases for a multimillion-dollar refund claim.
- Litigated proper tax treatment of executive’s structured compensation payments.
- Litigated inadequacy of deductions taken by S corporation on behalf of shareholder.
- Established favorable tax cost basis in property in contest with Internal Revenue Service.
- Litigated appropriate computations of depletion deductions for client’s mineral deposits.
- Successfully contested Internal Revenue Service denial of qualified research expense deductions.
- Litigated deductibility of various business expenses.
- Successfully defended against Internal Revenue Service allegations of inadequate corporate capitalization and disguised dividends.
- Resolved contested valuation matters in estate and gift tax reviews.
- Represented numerous estates in audits of federal estate tax returns.