Gould & Ratner’s Corporate Practice provides clients with sophisticated legal and business advice in areas ranging from business formation through business succession or the sale of a company.
We counsel institutions and executive teams, funds, prominent family business owners, entrepreneurs and other wealthy individuals on a variety of sophisticated and complex domestic and foreign transactions and business law issues including:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Operating agreements
- Licensing agreements
- Executive employment and compensation arrangements
In the past decade, we have handled more than $8 billion in transactions. On average each year, we close 25 merger and acquisition transactions (up to $1 billion in value), 20 venture capital and 20 bank financings.
Supporting the Business Goals of Our Clients
Our lawyers understand the importance of addressing transactional and operational issues from a perspective that not only protects legal interests, but supports the business goals and growth sought by our clients.
Transactional Team Approach
Our corporate lawyers pride themselves on their ability to create the right team for any transaction. The firm’s vast experience in federal and state taxes, environmental regulatory matters, employee benefits, intellectual property, real estate and finance is always readily available to be tapped into in connection with the purchase or sale of a business or other complicated transaction.
Gould & Ratner’s affiliation with LawExchange International allows the firm to make available the same personal service and attention to detail worldwide that the firm provides in Chicago and the rest of the United States.
- Represented a leading inventor in several licensing and collaborative research agreements with leading medical device manufacturers.
- Represented a banking software developer in several license agreements with banks for customer relationship management software.
- Represented a developer of communications software in license, maintenance, and escrow arrangements with several customers.
- Representation for the acquisition and sale of numerous wireless markets, including systems in Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Wisconsin and North Carolina by an entrepreneurial regional wireless carrier.
- Represented an Oregon-based manufacturer of photo voltaic inverters merger into a public company for up to $90 million.
- Represented a prominent private equity fund purchase of a package of several construction and circuit board manufacturing businesses in the Midwest and Southeast.
- Represented a leading commercial bank making a $40 million loan to a real estate developer in several states.
- Represented the purchaser of a leading novelty consumer products company after significant debt restructure and other workouts and equity infusion.
- Represented the sale of a manufacturer of tire pressure gauges for mid-eight figures.
- Successfully represented a minority owner of an emerging technology business in a partner dispute leading to settlement through mediation.
- Advised an early-stage technology company in its preparation for an equity based crowdfunding campaign.
- Negotiated a $7 million private placement for an early-stage transportation logistics company and advised the management team in formulating and implementing an exit strategy.
- Represented an entrepreneur in the sale of a start-up power generation company to one of the country’s largest providers of electric power.
- Successfully represented a Chinese tool-and-die manufacturer in a multimillion-dollar dispute with the U.S. division of a global equipment company.
- Structured and drafted long-term incentive compensation program in the form of a “phantom equity” plan for fast-growing technology-related company.
- Fully negotiated acquisition of distressed manufacturing business by competitor through the use of creative financing structure and the government’s SBA 7(a) program.
- Represented a hospitality company in the disposition of a portfolio of Holiday Inn Hotels, including the negotiation of purchase and sale agreements and all aspects of closing of the transaction.
- Equity-Based Crowdfunding Rules: Understanding the Basics, GR Client Update, October 2016
- Identifying "Acts of God" in the Age of Climate Change and Political Upheaval, Construction Update, April 2016
- To LLC or Not to LLC: That Is the Question!, GR Client Update, May 2014
- Don't Get Trapped in the Coverage Gap: Additional Insured Under Commercial General Liability Policies - Recent Developments, GR Client Update, May 2014
- Business Law Section Diversity Clerkship Program: Exposing Minority Students to Careers in Business Law, Business Law Today, October 2013
- Better Than the Average Lien, GR Review, September 2013
- How to Handle Your Deal Lawyers, The Practical Lawyer, February 2013
- Key Legal Issues in M&A Technology Deals, Sikich Investment Banking Technology Industry M&A Report, October 2011
- Vertical Minimum Price Fixing - Still a Problem?, The Globe, June 2011
- Indemnity for One's Own Negligence or Strict Liabilities, The Globe, June 2011
- Bridging the Gaps, CAmagazine, January 2011
- Getting to a Handshake: How to Become a More Effective Deal Lawyer and Get Deals Done, Chicago Lawyer, August 2010
- Dispute Resolution Issues in Connection With Price Adjustments, GR Review, July 2010
- Increased Liability of Preferred Directors and Techniques to Reduce Potential Exposure, GR Review, July 2010
- How to Structure Contingent Purchase Price Provisions (Earnouts), The Practical Lawyer, June 2010
- Working Capital Adjustments in M&A Transactions: Navigating a Minefield, GR Review, October 2009
- New Tax Rules for Deferred Compensation, GR Review, July 2009
- Foreign Sourcing of Production: Key Issues for Consideration, The Globe, January 2009
- Venture Capital Transactions in the United States and China, The Practical Lawyer, December 2008
- Advising Chinese Businesses on Establishing and Operating Successful Businesses in the United States, The Practical Lawyer, October 2008
- How Small and Medium-Sized Businesses Can Deal With Banks, The Practical Lawyer, February 2008
- Business Seller's Due Diligence, GR Review, January 2008
- Europe: King Canute Trying to Halt Tide of Private Equity Investment, GR Review, January 2008
- Venture Capital Transactions in the United States and India, The Practical Lawyer, August 2007
- Venture Capital Financing in the United States and Canada - Part 2, The Practical Lawyer, April 2007
- Earnouts, GR Review, March 2007
- Venture Capital Financing in the United States and Canada - Part 1, The Practical Lawyer, February 2007
- The Second Half of Smart - How to Temper Your Intelligence and Become a More Effective Deal Lawyer, The Practical Lawyer, October 2006
- Hedging Your Bets With Swaps, GR Taking Stock, July 2005
- All in the Family: Corporate Governance Issues Facing Family-Owned Businesses, The Practical Lawyer, January 2002
- It's Time to Talk Turkey: Seller Strategies to Prevent a Buyer From Wriggling Away, Business Law Today, January 2001
- All Dressed Up With Somewhere to Go: How to Succeed in Selling Your Business Without Really Trying (Too Hard), The Practical Lawyer, December 2000
- Major Battlegrounds in Venture Capital Transactions, The Practical Lawyer, May 2000
- Slicing It Up: Should a Majority Owner Sell a Piece of the Pie?, Business Law Today, November 1999
- Negotiating the Software License: Eight Tips for the Licensee, The Practical Lawyer, June 1999
- Do You Really Want a Partner? Suggestions to Avoid Litigation and Improve Inter-Owner Harmony Upon Selling Minority Interests in a Business, The Practical Lawyer, January 1999
- Going With the Cash Flow: Get to Know This Crucial Factor in Communications Deals, Business Law Today, November 1998
- International Contracts: Practical Considerations to Maximize Efficiency, The Practical Lawyer, March 1998
- Twelve Most Important Questions to Ask in a Franchisor-Franchisee Relationship, The Practical Lawyer, September 1990
- Gould & Ratner Adds Three Associates, February 21, 2017
- M&A Pace Under Trump: Still Strong But Maybe for New Reasons , The Deal, January 24, 2017
- The Future of Family Offices: Regulation and the Right Location, Bloomberg.com, December 19, 2016
- Private Capital-Raising Inched Ahead in '16, But Hurdles Loom, Law360.com, December 12, 2016
- How a Trump Presidency Affects Real Estate Crowdfunding, Huffington Post, November 9, 2016
- Rumored DraftKings, FanDuel Merger Would Be Uphill Battle, Law360.com, June 14, 2016
- Andrew M. Silver Joins Gould & Ratner, GR Media Release, March 28, 2016
- Gould & Ratner Expands Into Cinema With Legal Assistance on New Golf Film "Tommy's Honour", GR Media Release, February 2016
- Local Attorneys Travel With Business Folks to Israel to Find "the Next Google", Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, July 26, 2012
- Lawyers Leave Home to Seek an Opportunity, Find It in Israel, Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, January 6, 2011
- Profile: Be Humble, Be Prepared and Survey the Field, Leading Lawyers Network Magazine - Business Edition, July 2010