Ilana Bley focuses her practice on assisting individuals, families and business owners with complex tax planning and wealth transfer strategies. Ilana handles a variety of matters, including implementing tax efficient estate plans, administering trusts and estates and charitable planning.
Ilana is an Associate Member of the Chicago Estate Planning Council (CEPC) was selected by her peers for inclusion in the 2021 edition of U.S. News – Best Lawyers, “Ones to Watch.” Ilana is a member of the American Bar Association and the Chicago Bar Association and frequently writes articles pertaining to changes in tax law.
Ilana graduated law school with a Certificate in Tax Law. While attending law school, Ilana served as a student articles editor of the Loyola University Chicago Law Journal, was a student clinician at the Loyola Business Law Clinic, and was president of Loyola University Chicago School of Law's Decalogue Society.
Prior to joining Gould & Ratner, Ilana was a corporate associate at a large law firm in Chicago where she counseled clients on a wide range of matters, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity and general corporate matters.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Alpha Sigma Nu, 2015
- Washington University, B.A., 2010
Chicago Estate Planning Council (CEPC) – Chair, Workshops Subcommittee (of Workshops Committee)
Key Cases or Transactions
- Assisted clients with a variety of transactions to maximize use of gift exemption amounts and other planning in anticipation of potential changes in the law.
- Aided clients with reorganizations of closely-held companies to accomplish family goals in the most tax-efficient manner.
- Advised clients with respect to Section 1202 qualified small business stock (QSBS) and implementation of gifts.
- Advised clients on charitable planning, including the creation of charitable lead annuity trusts.
- Worked extensively on limited liability company and other agreements among family members.
- Analyzed related party rules under Internal Revenue Code Sections 318 and 1563 and other related Code Sections.
- Counseled clients with respect to the employee retention tax credit and analyzed clients’ specific eligibility for the credit.
- Analyzed excise tax on executive compensation under Section 4960.
- Assisted clients with determination of whether subject to Bureau of Economic Analysis Benchmark Survey of U.S. Direct Investment Abroad (BE-10) reporting requirement.
- Gould & Ratner Represented CC Industries in the Acquisition of Central Indiana Ethanol, December 22, 2021
- Seven Gould & Ratner Attorneys Elevated to Partner, December 1, 2021
- Gould & Ratner Named to 2022 U.S. News Best Lawyers and “Ones to Watch” Lists, August 20, 2021
- Amy Blumenthal and Ilana Bley Recognized in Best Lawyers' “Women in the Law” Business Edition for 2021, Best Lawyers, June 4, 2021
- Ilana Schwartz Bley Joins Gould & Ratner, November 19, 2017
- IRS Issues Proposed Regulations Affecting Inherited Retirement Accounts Under the SECURE Act , April 26, 2022
- IRS Issues Guidance on Termination of Employee Retention Credit , December 8, 2021
- Infrastructure Bill Includes Termination of Employee Retention Tax Credit , November 11, 2021
- Proposed Federal Tax Changes Take Aim at Wealthy Businesses and Individuals , October 7, 2021
- Potential Changes Coming to Grantor Trust Rules , October 6, 2021
- IRS Issues Additional Guidance for Claiming the Employee Retention Tax Credit , August 9, 2021
- Pending Changes to Illinois Tax Laws Include SALT Workaround , June 4, 2021
- IRS Issues Guidance for Claiming the Employee Retention Credit for the First Half of 2021 , April 6, 2021
- IRS Extends Federal Income Tax Filing Deadline for Individuals to May 17 , March 22, 2021
- IRS Issues Guidance for Employers Claiming 2020 Employee Retention Credit , March 17, 2021
- Stimulus Bill Increases Deduction Amount for Most Business Meals , January 14, 2021
- Employee Retention Tax Credit Extended and Expanded , December 23, 2020
- Federal Gift and GST Tax Returns and Payments Due Date Delayed Until July 15 , April 1, 2020
- COVID-19 Disaster Relief Payments to Employees Not Considered Taxable Income by IRS , March 31, 2020
- Ownership of Foreign Assets May Require Filing of Form BE-10 , February 19, 2020
- New Year Brings New Rules for Retirement Accounts , January 2, 2020
- Beneficiary's Residency Not Enough for State To Tax Trust, Supreme Court Rules , June 21, 2019
- Opportunity Zone Program Offers Attractive Tax Benefits for Long-Term Investors , November 6, 2018