Dan Crowley concentrates his practice on virtually all aspects of real estate law, including commercial real estate transactions, financing, leasing, zoning and entitlement issues. He is also a member of the firm’s Construction Practice.
Dan graduated cum laude from Loyola University Chicago School of Law, where he earned placement on the Dean’s List every semester. While in law school, Dan served as a Lead Article Editor of the Loyola University Chicago Law Journal, the school’s flagship scholarly publication.
During his second year of law school, Dan served as a judicial extern for the Hon. Joan Humphrey Lefkow, Senior Judge of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and the Hon. Paul P. Biebel (ret.), Presiding Judge of the Criminal Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County. He also served as an intern in the office of the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois.
Before joining Gould & Ratner, Dan clerked at two Chicago law firms during his final year of law school, working on various real estate, corporate and litigation matters. As a law student, Dan assisted in leading a student-formulated capstone course that authored and lobbied for legislation that was ultimately enacted by the Illinois General Assembly benefitting Special Olympics Chicago and Special Children’s Charities.
Dan is an active volunteer in several civic and community groups. He is a member of the Auxiliary Board of the Big Shoulders Fund, the Irish Fellowship Club of Chicago and the City Club of Chicago. Dan also actively supports Special Olympics Chicago, Special Children’s Charities and the Toys for Tots Foundation.
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2015
- DePaul University, B.S.B., Economics, 2010
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers’ Section Real Estate Law Committee
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Real Estate Investment Association
- Urban Land Institute (ULI), Public Policy Committee
Key Cases or Transactions
- Negotiation of COVID-related lease workouts on behalf of landlords including an improvisational comedy enterprise, one of the nation’s fastest growing fitness chains, a Chicago based restaurant and tavern and a specialty apparel retail chain.
- Negotiation of leases, on behalf of 601W Companies, for the Old Chicago Post Office, including Uber, Walgreens, PepsiCo, Abelson Taylor, Federal Home Loan Bank, CBOE, Home Chef, TrueBlue, and a food court operator.
- Advised lender on $5 million credit facility for an air purification systems manufacturer.
- Advised adaptive reuse investor/developer in acquisition, construction financing and leaseup of various retail properties in Chicago’s Fulton Market District.
- Lead leasing and property management counsel for properties consisting in excess of five million rentable square feet of office space in downtown Chicago.
- 5 Things You Need to Know About the Recent Illinois Ruling on Force Majeure and COVID-19 , October 1, 2020
- 5 Things You Need to Know About the Recent Illinois Ruling on Force Majeure and COVID-19 , June 29, 2020
- Opportunity Zone Program Offers Attractive Tax Benefits for Long-Term Investors , November 6, 2018
- Construction Pricing Models – Choosing an Appropriate Pricing Arrangement , LexisNexis , March 18, 2018
- Underground surprises: When You Find Human Remains or Culturally Significant Artifacts on Your Construction Site, Stop, Call and Preserve , Law360 , February 22, 2017